Friday, December 3, 2010

When fair fights turn into hate speech

I love facebook, infact I confess to being a facebook addict (okay, everywhere I go am always clicking away on my phone, sending inboxes and viewing notifications. Any rehab ideas?) So, yes, facebook is my addiction, my drug and the antidote. So, one day I am in my usual Facebook mode when I open this famous person's page and the things I see there make me seeth with anger and freeze with disbelieve. Can you imagine a person we have enlisted to be a leader writing something like "HATA NIKIPIMWA NI YA NINI NA HAKUNA DAWA?" Okay, pause. This is a person whom is influencing millions and millions of urban youth kenyans. Yes, he is a media personality, with a top-rate radio show. Social sites such as facebook, twitter, myspace etc have become a haven of battles, cheap talk and arguments. It is not strange to witness a couple "going physical" on facebook or a ditched spouse getting back at his/her partner through facebook. Oh, did I tell you of the incident where I was so mad at a girlfriend of mine and I retaliated by calling her the "B" word on facebook? Yes, am also a victim of such behaviours (blush).

No comments:

Post a Comment